title
 
 
                   
 
 
Scottish Episcopal Church

The Church of the Holy Trinity
Haddington
East Lothian

East Lothian and Haddington
Holy Trinity Church
Our Congregation
Children at Holy Trinity
Congregational Involvement
Worship
Music
The Team
The Vestry
The Rectory
The Trinity Centre
Holy Trinity and Ecumenism
Outreach
A Bit of History

East Lothian and Haddington

East Lothian is an attractive county with a rich history. It is also a delightful place to live - within easy reach of Edinburgh, Glasgow and NE England. The county is an artist's paradise: it offers wonderful views, varied coastline, superb beaches, rolling arable farmland and the hill country of the Lammermuirs. There are outstanding leisure facilities which include concerts, local art galleries, golf on more than twenty courses and excellent walking.

Haddington is the historic county and market town of East Lothian (pop. around 9,000). It has a beautiful, mainly Georgian heart, and is well provided with schools and a wide range of good shopping and services. The area attracts a growing commuter and retirement population.

Holy Trinity is the Scottish Episcopal Church in Haddington. Our church is situated at the east end of the town centre, in a quiet cobbled cul-de-sac near peaceful river walks, and a short distance from the historic great Kirk of St Mary’s.

Holy Trinity has its own walled grounds which include the spacious Georgian rectory and garden, and a garden of remembrance. Next to the rectory stands the Trinity Centre ­owned by the church and a flourishing centre of outreach to the local community. Opposite the church is the town's day centre for the elderly.

The quiet location of the church means that Holy Trinity offers a tranquil haven in the heart of the town centre. We aim to keep the church open as much as possible for private prayer or peaceful moments.

back to the top

Holy Trinity Church

We seek to strengthen our personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord, and with God's blessing to increase and grow in His grace.
As a worshipping congregation, we want to be there for one another in all the joys and sorrows of life and
within our communities to bear witness for Christ .
We ask in prayer for the grace to grow in
love and understanding as we move forward together.

back to the top

Our Congregation

The congregation is a friendly and welcoming blend of individuals and families from Haddington and the surrounding towns, villages and countryside. The roll is approximately 150 of whom around 40 - 50 attend the Family Eucharist on a Sunday morning, and others, totalling around 25,attend the other regular weekly eucharists.

Study courses and discussion groups form an important part of our life together. Daytime and evening groups meet in Lent and occasionally at other times. Currently, a 'lay' led discussion group meets on Thursday evenings.

We are hopeful now, as a congregation, that we can build positively on the strength of our fellowship, and look forward to an energetic and united future.

back to the top

Children at Holy Trinity

We have a dedicated service on the First Sunday of each month

Activities on offer are varied and occasional outings, visits, picnics etc are arranged. There is a donkey service at Christmas (very popular with local non-church going families). The children share in flower and produce collection for Mothering Sunday and Harvest Festival, and also the annual collection of toys for prisoners' children.

It has been the practice at Holy Trinity to admit children to Holy Communion if parents wish, after a course of instruction by the Rector.

back to the top

Congregational Involvement

There is a wide variety of talent and experience together with personal energy and friendly enthusiasm available among the congregation. Individuals serve as readers, singers, servers, chalice assistants, intercessors, sides-persons, flower arrangers, magazine producers, refreshment and transport providers, volunteers in the Trinity Centre. Editing and office skills are on offer. Holy Trinity is a Traidfair congregation – goods on sale once a month.

A congregational magazine "GLORIA" is produced ten times per year. A large number of members of the congregation serve as organisers or helpers at Christmas bazaars, summer fairs and various other fund-raising ventures.

back to the top

Worship

The current pattern:

Sundays: 8.30 am Holy Communion (Scottish Liturgy 1970) 10.00 am Family Eucharist (Scottish Liturgy 1982)

6.00 pm Evening Prayer (Scottish Prayer Book)

On the first Sunday of the Month there is a half-hour 'Families@9.30am' service specifically for younger members of the congregation. This is followed by Eucharist 10.30 followed by a Soup and Pudding Lunch at the Trinity Centre.

During the week Holy Communion is celebrated at 10.00 am on Wednesdays. Holy Communion is also regularly celebrated on the greater festivals, usually in the evening. Ecumenical services are held during Holy Week and on other appropriate occasions, including a Memorial Service on All Souls Day.

back to the top

Music

Holy Trinity is fortunate to have, as organist Jim Dickson, a retired teacher and professional musician. There is no choir as such at present, but a voluntary group has recently come together to lead and encourage hymn singing.

The Family Eucharist is sung with a mixture of modern and traditional hymns.

Holy Trinity has a thriving handbell group (Holy Trinity Handbells) which is much in demand locally. The group has a three octave chromatic set of Malmark handbells. Members raise money for charities, entertain local groups and occasionally participate in church worship. There is also a fine classical/romantic Harrison organ of the late Victorian period.

The church itself has a good acoustic and is available as a venue for recitals by soloists, visiting choirs and orchestras.

back to the top

The Team

The ministry team presently includes our Rector Revd Canon Anne Dyer, one non-stipendiary priest and a lay reader. Members bring a diversity of gifts and experience to the tasks of leading worship, chaplaincy, pastoral work, education and outreach.

The team supports and resources other members of the congregation in these and other ministries and leadership roles.

The then rector and vestry established Holy Trinity’s team in the late 1970s as an expression of their conviction that collaborative ministry is a true reflection of the Gospel.

Holy Trinity has for some years provided unofficial chaplaincies to the Day Centre and the Compass School in Haddington, and these are focal points for the church's outreach activity into the community.

back to the top

The Vestry

Stewardship of Holy Trinity rests with the vestry acting on behalf of the wider congregation. As per its constitution the vestry of Holy Trinity consists ex officio of rector, churchwardens, secretary, treasurer and lay representative: also not more than eight ordinary members elected at the AGM. Of these at least two retire every year and are not eligible for re-election for a period of one year. Vacancies occurring during the year are filled by co-option and hold good until the next AGM

The normal vestry term is three years. Vestry meetings are chaired by the rector, and currently happen ten times a year. Team members are invited to attend meetings and to contribute.

Within the vestry individuals may have special responsibilities such as Property, Finance, the Trinity Centre, Health and Safety or Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection.

In addition to practical and management decisions relating to the church, the vestry is concerned to help and support the rector in matters relating to the development of pastoral work, worship and mission.

back to the top

The Rectory

The rectory is a fine and spacious Georgian house standing in its own walled garden between the church and the Trinity Centre. The house has three public rooms, five bedrooms and two bathrooms.

back to the top

The Trinity Centre

The Trinity Centre was opened in February 2005 jointly by our bishop and the provost of East Lothian. It has proved to be a major contribution by Holy Trinity to the life of the community and town. The congregation is proud or what has been achieved by prayer, effort and collaborative working.

In total, in excess of £350,000 was raised to transform the former rundown Victorian church hall into a modern state-of-the-art community facility with office, kitchen, meeting rooms, and a splendid multi-use hall. The centre is used by a wide variety of local groups, and run by a management committee consisting of members of Holy Trinity and representatives of the wider community.

back to the top

Holy Trinity and Ecumenism

There is a growing spirit of co-operative working between the churches in the town. For example, a jointly appointed administrator based in the Trinity Centre handles bookings for the halls belonging to both Holy Trinity and St Mary's Parish Church.

Members of our church along with other denominations in the town take turns every weekday from Easter to autumn to offer five-minute prayers and readings at noon for visitors to St Mary's. HT members are also involved as guardians and guides in St Mary's through the summer months.

Now Holy Trinity is one of a group of four Haddington churches involved in an exciting ecumenical project: the recent appointment of a Christian outreach youth worker for the town who presently has an office in the Trinity Centre.

In addition to united services in Holy Week, the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity in January is also shared by local churches.

back to the top

Outreach

Members of Holy Trinity help at Friday Friends - an ecumenical project in Haddington for substance abusers - and with the Bethany Care Van project for homeless people, taking soup and rolls to the homeless on the streets of Edinburgh. Individuals also help at the nearby Day Centre, and one member has started a very popular Film Club for senior citizens.

Holy Trinity has established a link with the Anglican Church of Rev Philip Quaque in the Diocese of Cape Coast, Ghana. Arrangements cannot be finalised until the new Rector is appointed.

back to the top

A Bit of History

The turbulent fortunes of both Presbyterianism and Episcopalianism in Scotland find reflection in the story of Holy Trinity. Between 1745 -1792 the Scottish Episcopal church was proscribed on account of its support for the Jacobite cause and became as a result the object of an 18 th century 'war on terror'!

After the revolution of 1688 when episcopacy was abolished in Scotland, a tolerant and politically astute William of Orange permitted provision to be made for Episcopal ministers to retain their benefices - provided they took the oath of allegiance to the Crown.

In the county of Haddingtonshire there continued a large measure of support for the Episcopal way of worship, and well into the 18 th century our congregation shared an amicable home with the local Kirk in the nearby parish church of St Mary's - a pragmatic and friendly relationship existing again today.

There has been Christian worship on this spot for over 800 years, for the present church stands on the site of a Franciscan friary built in the 13 th century. This was demolished in 1572 after the General Assembly of the Kirk decreed that all monastic places of worship not used as parish churches should be pulled down.

The building of the first Episcopal chapel on this site was started in 1769 as a ‘qualified’ or Church of England chapel. Although dedicated in 1770, there was no consecration until 1815 when the congregation joined the Scottish Episcopal Church. Until the mid-19 th century Holy Trinity was the only Episcopal church in the county.

back to the top

 
 
                   
 

Sundays:

Eucharist 8.30am (said)
Family Service 9.30am*
Eucharist 10.00am*
Evening Prayer 6.00pm

*(First Sunday of the month with Eucharist at 10.30am)

Wednesdays:
Eucharist 10.00am

 
Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals by arrangement
 
Church open daily throughout the year
 
See our Events page for Holy Week Services
 
The Scottish Episcopal Church is in full communion with the Church of England
Scottish Charity No. SC003630